At a recent leadership development event for high potential women, one of the keynote speakers was an executive recruiter who helps companies identify C-suite executives. She listed the qualities companies seek when hiring senior executives. She began by noting a C-suite leader needs to be “a rational intelligent expert.” No surprise in this. The expert role is highly prized in business. She concluded her speech with one last piece of advice, “A C-suite leader needs to be enthusiastic and memorable!” A Dilbert-like cartoon formed in my mind of an executive, stiff and unsmiling, attempting to rally his team who stared blindly at him, waiting for the moment to end. She was memorable to me.

It is incredible that this sophisticated female executive proceeded to reinforce the conflicting messages most women (and some men) hear as they evolve as leaders. At the center of the confusion is the role emotions play in the workplace. Professionals are valued for their intelligence and development as experts in their domain. Resources are made readily available to advance this development. When it comes to the emotional angle, however, there is a dearth of resources for this development track. More often than not, the advice is “don’t show your emotions.”

In 1995, emotions at work gained legitimacy when Daniel Goleman published his ground-breaking, bestselling book, Emotional Intelligence. Goleman further supported the argument that non-cognitive skills can matter as much as I.Q. for workplace success in Working with Emotional Intelligence and for leadership effectiveness in Primal Leadership. As an executive coach who has been transitioning professionals into leadership roles for the past 25 years, the biggest transition for most executives is to expand their approach to leading by being the technical expert to incorporate the core competencies of emotional intelligence (EQ): self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.

If you ask most leaders what they dislike most, dealing with the politics is usually cited. Managing organization politics requires a balanced approach of analytical strategy, positive mindset, and using all of the EQ competencies. In other words, becoming organizationally savvy is one of the most challenging leadership skills to master.

My specialty and passion as a coach is helping people learn how to manage organization politics. My approach is shaped by helping executives learn about themselves and expand their EQ skills repertoire by gently and playfully exploring outside of their comfort zone.

One of my clients—let’s call him John—was a former trader on track for senior leadership roles in a large financial services organization. John was given an executive coach to help adjust to a larger role. His boss wanted him to show his softer side, i.e. start using EQ skills. This was the first time John had been told he needed to be softer and emotionally competent. He didn’t have a clue how to act on the feedback. My strategy was to help John understand his emotions and how they related to his work. I guided him to recognize what energized him and what annoyed him as a first step to learn how to channel his emotions strategically—let them serve him as a leader.

1. Informal conversations with members of his department energized John. He began scheduling at least an hour every week to drop by and chat with key stakeholders and people from all level in his department. The informality of this type of management by walking around (MBWA) allowed John to connect on a more personal level versus a formal meeting in which people tend to relate to each other according to titles and hierarchy. This practice eventually allowed his group to know him better. He became approachable and this increased the flow of vital information or organization intelligence. John learned a core leadership competency—the art of strategic informal networking.

2. Dealing with colleagues who he felt were trying to undermine or one-up him annoyed John. We engaged an improvisation teacher, Jay Rhoderick (www.bizprovgroup.com) to build John’s flexibility. I have incorporated improvisation into my coaching since the early 1990s. I believe it is one of the most effective techniques to help technically focused professionals develop their playful and creative side. With John, I remember one exercise that had greatest impact. I role-played a woman born 2,000 years ago. He had to teach me how an air conditioner works. After lots of annoyance and frustration, he drastically changed his approach from explaining and making assumptions to asking questions, summarizing, laughing when he was confused and, most importantly, staying curious. People still annoy him but much less so, as he has become more mentally and emotionally agile. He has added curiosity, patience, and active listening to balance his analytical and expert approach.

At a year-end holiday party, many people told John’s boss how much he had changed. They now enjoyed working with him. John told me that the 2,000 year old woman has changed his life by teaching him to use his emotions in a more strategic way. He enjoys the challenges even the political ones presented and is perceived as a more open, engaged leader with a sense of humor. John learned that channeling emotions effectively is an essential executive skill set that offers a key competitive advantage.

71 Responses to Developing Emotional Flexibility at Work

1. Gregorio says:

This can be some thing I must find more information about, many thanks for the posting.

2. kcmayer says:

No fluke..glad to hear it. Come back again.

3. kcmayer says:

I don’t what you are saying. But thanks for reading.

4. Casandra says:

Particularly challenging bless you, I believe your readers would most most likely want significantly more articles similar to this keep up the decent hard work.

5. xiaorr456 says:

Excellent job with your entry. A lot people may look at it that way for sure and honestly validate with the point.

6. Jan Schelp says:

I cant say Im in complete accordance, many thanks for showing the initiative to write it down

7. kcmayer says:

I am so glad! thank you for stopping by. Sign up!

8. Etty says:

Stay with this guys, you’re hplenig a lot of people.

9. kcmayer says:

Thank you! Come back.

10. kcmayer says:

I used wordpress. Easy to use. Good luck!

11. Normally I do not learn post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, quite great post.

12. “Sympathy constitutes friendship; but in love there is a sort of antipathy, or opposing passion. Each strives to be the other, and both together make up one whole.” ~ Samuel Taylor Coleridge

13. Im impressed, I should say. Very rarely do I come across a weblog thats both informative and entertaining, and let me tell you, youve hit the nail on the head. Your weblog is vital; the problem is some thing that not enough folks are talking intelligently about. Im actually pleased that I stumbled across this in my search for one thing relating to this issue.

14. I need to say, youve got 1 of the most effective blogs Ive observed in a lengthy time. What I wouldnt give to have the ability to produce a weblog thats as fascinating as this. I guess Ill just have to maintain reading yours and hope that one day I can write on a subject with as significantly understanding as youve got on this 1!

15. Im impressed, I need to say. Really hardly ever do I come across a weblog thats each informative and entertaining, and let me let you know, youve hit the nail on the head. Your blog is important; the problem is something that not enough individuals are talking intelligently about. Im really happy that I stumbled across this in my search for some thing relating to this concern.

16. kcmayer says:

What type of news?

17. Sammy Boney says:

I have to say, youve got 1 of the ideal blogs Ive observed in a lengthy time. What I wouldnt give to be capable of make a blog thats as interesting as this. I guess Ill just need to keep reading yours and hope that one day I can write on a topic with as a lot information as youve got on this one!

18. What i don’t realize is actually how you are not actually much more well-liked than you may be right now. You are very intelligent. You realize thus significantly relating to this subject, produced me personally consider it from so many varied angles. Its like men and women aren’t fascinated unless it’s one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs excellent. Always maintain it up!

19. Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

20. I must say, youve got one of the very best blogs Ive noticed in a lengthy time. What I wouldnt give to have the ability to make a blog thats as intriguing as this. I guess Ill just need to maintain reading yours and hope that 1 day I can write on a topic with as a lot understanding as youve got on this 1!

21. Sammy Boney says:

Im impressed, I need to say. Incredibly hardly ever do I come across a blog thats each informative and entertaining, and let me let you know, youve hit the nail on the head. Your weblog is essential; the problem is some thing that not enough folks are talking intelligently about. Im definitely content that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this problem.

22. Ione Helwig says:

I ought to say, youve got 1 of the most effective blogs Ive observed in a lengthy time. What I wouldnt give to be capable of develop a blog thats as intriguing as this. I guess Ill just need to maintain reading yours and hope that 1 day I can write on a subject with as much information as youve got on this 1!

23. I need to say, youve got 1 with the best blogs Ive seen in a lengthy time. What I wouldnt give to be able to produce a weblog thats as intriguing as this. I guess Ill just have to maintain reading yours and hope that one day I can write on a topic with as much expertise as youve got on this 1!

24. I have to say, youve got 1 with the finest blogs Ive noticed in a lengthy time. What I wouldnt give to be capable of create a blog thats as fascinating as this. I guess Ill just have to maintain reading yours and hope that one day I can write on a subject with as much knowledge as youve got on this one!

25. Mclean says:

I’ve read your write-up & chavih I’m posting here just to let you know that you are doing a terrific job by keeping us posted about this. Please maintain on posting such quality articles as this is a rare factor to get these days

26. Jason Mensi says:

I have read various articles on this topic, but this one really makes sense to me. Thanks for making this information so interesting and understandable.

27. Nola says:

Hello, Nice job! I saw this really great post today.Great site you could have here!

28. I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I’m quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

29. kcmayer says:

I am so glad. Come back.

30. kcmayer says:

I am so glad you enjoyed it.

31. kcmayer says:

Thank you. I write on a monthly basis.